|This is a part-time role (2.5 days per week)
As the global market leader for art materials, we have played an important role in the creative industry for centuries. We are committed to our mission to create the best tools for our creative community. Colart brings a collaboration of heritage brands together of which we are very proud. These include Winsor & Newton, Liquitex, Lefranc Bourgeois, Snazaroo, Conte à Paris and our newest brand Elephant.
We're looking for a smart, energetic Sub-Editor to work within the Elephant art magazine editorial team. The role is part time and you will be based at Elephant Space, near Westfield Shepherds Bush in London.
Established in 2010, Elephant magazine covers contemporary culture through the lens of the visual arts, with a focus on emerging artists, designers and photographers. We also run Elephant Academy, an online arts education programme, and Elephant Kiosk, a shop for exclusive artist collaborations and art and design products. We publish daily stories online, as well as putting together a biannual print magazine that is distributed internationally. Our audience is based all over the world, and we champion a diversity of voices in our commissioning.
• Sub-edit all copy for digital and print before publication, observing house style and checking grammar, punctuation and spelling
• Factcheck all content for digital and print before publication, including key stats, quotes and references
• Improve quality of copy by fixing inconsistencies and errors in language and content, liaising with editors where bigger edits are suggested
• Provide support to deputy editor and managing editor with workflow
• Write engaging, SEO ready headlines and standfirsts for digital, true to the website’s unique tone of voice, and with consideration of their presence on social media
• Ensure final layout of digital articles is consistent with formats defined by our artistic director, and make sure images, captions, headings etc are properly formatted and placed
• Write creative headlines and standfirsts true to the print magazine’s unique tone of voice, and with consideration of eventual typographic interventions
• Proofread print issue once layouts are signed off
• Liaise with editorial team on suggested updates to house style
• Occasionally provide subbing support for Elephant Kiosk and Academy
Experience and qualifications we are looking for
• Proven experience of working as a sub-editor for a newspaper or equivalent magazine, ideally with a focus on art and culture
• Experience of working on both digital and print editorial platforms
• Experience of InDesign and a CMS
• Knowledge of how to write headlines effectively for the web
• Proven ability to help a story travel widely online
• Understanding of the internet and engagement with social media
• A degree in English is desirable but not essential
• Some experience as a published journalist would be beneficial
What is our culture? We’re a united culture with shared values; we have a sustainable mind-set; we see the ‘bigger picture’ and long-term perspective and success (we allow ourselves to make mistakes on that journey!) and we’re passionate about creating quality brands that art communities love.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: whilst we value that you want to work with us, we will be sourcing this role directly; and therefore ask that you do not approach us.